Jamie and Family

Friday, June 10, 2011

About This Blog

Hello. My name is Christy Vail Wheeler. I'm Jamie Maddux's aunt, her mother's sister. I created this blog as a way to help Jamie. She was in a horrible car accident in Fountain Valley, CA. I copied this from Jamie's CaringBridge page:

"Jamie Nicole Maddux was on the way to meet some friends for lunch. As she was leaving her neighborhood on Rose St. and was crossing Bushard she was T-boned by a car going northbound on Bushard Street. Jamie's car spun and then rolled completely over, landing back on her tires. FVPD Officer Rick Nilos responded to the accident within 15-20 seconds. He could see Jamie slumped over in her car and could tell she wasn't breathing. He immediately felt drawn to help Jamie. After failing to break Jamie's window, the officer crawled through the back window of her Ford Focus coupe and pulled the lever of Jamie's seat so she could lay flat. After adjusting her jaw, Jamie began to breathe. She was rushed to UCI trauma center. She suffered three fractures to her pelvis and a bleed in her brain. She was put in a medically induced coma."

The newspaper reported on the accident, too: http://www.ocregister.com/news/-301819--.html

Sweet Jamie has since been moved to a rehabilitation hospital and is showing great signs of improvement. We all know that it is because of the power of prayer. There are many, many people praying for Jamie and we all appreciate it more than I can say. Jamie is able to communicate with her hands, which is very encouraging. My sister, Cindy, recently told me that Jamie fed herself an ounce or so of yogurt. Jamie is spending some time outside in her wheelchair. She's getting better, baby step by baby step.

It's killing me that I'm not able to be there for my sister and her family. For those of you that don't know me, I live in TN. I realize that if I were there, I wouldn't be able to actually DO anything to make Jamie heal faster. This is what I can do. I can spread the word that there is a beautiful, kind, smart, loving girl out there that needs our help. If you can donate, please do. The money goes into a separate checking account and each month I'll send my family a check. Any amount of money is helpful. If you aren't able to send money, please send prayers.

If you live in the Fountain Valley area, there are several fundraisers that you can attend. Sam's Club is donating vanilla ice cream and root beer to make root beer floats outside of their store on Saturday, June 11. Many FVHS students amd members of GSA and Baron Bridge Builders have agreed to sell root beer floats, as well as collect donations and raffle off a $100 Sam's Club Gift Card to contribute to Jamie Maddux's hospital/rehabilitation bill.

Also, on June 22, Dippin' Dots Ice Cream Store on Newhope donating a part of every purchase to the Maddux family.

The community has been amazing for my sister & her family. I want everyone that has helped them to know that the ENTIRE family appreciates it, even the folks you've probably never met. Perfect strangers have kept a lump in my throat and tears of gratitude in my eyes. Chanda says that there will be a block party when Jamie comes home. I plan to attend that. Maybe then I can thank each of you. Until then, please re-post this blog on ALL of your social media. Then, get your friends to do the same. Thank you again!

No comments:

Post a Comment